Pennell and Wiltberger Engineering was founded in 1936 by Mr. Howard Pennell and Mr. Constant Wiltberger. Supported by the Quaker community of Philadelphia, the firm specialized in mechanical and electrical system engineering for hospitals, schools and hotels.
The firm was incorporated in the early 1950’s and was named formally Pennell and Wiltberger, Inc. The firm focused on the engineering of building systems for public and private schools, colleges, and hospitals. Mr. Pennell and Mr. Wiltberger sold their ownership to three of their staff members in the early 1960’s, as the firm continued to prosper in the same markets.
In 1985, majority ownership was sold to the third generation of owners, at which time the firm grew to over 100 full time employees providing engineering services for hospitals, pharmaceutical manufacturing and research, universities, and energy management services.
In 2000, over 40% of stock ownership (retiree of major partner) was transferred to an ESOP. With an emphasis on automating not only drafting but engineering calculations, PWI experienced a reduction in staffing to the 40-50 FTE level, while producing equivalent billings. Significant projects included:
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts in Philadelphia — $350 million
- Penn State’s Beaver Stadium Expansion — $130 million
- Comprehensive Cancer Centers for Johns Hopkins Hospital and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center at Shady Side,PA — $140 million and $150 million respectively
- Bio Tech Science Center, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ — $45 million
- Einstein Medical Center, Montgomery County, PA — $200 million, LEED Gold
- Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC — $70 million energy plant
- Atlantic HealthCare in Morristown, NJ — $400 million in expansion projects
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, NJ — $230 million, largest LEED Gold east of the Mississippi River
From 2000 to present, energy commodity procurement services were formally added (licensed brokers in multiple states — PA, NJ, NC, OH) to support clientele, along with PWI’s expanded engineering of CHP plants for hospitals and colleges. PWI started purchasing services in 1988, including internationally. Licensing as brokers was not required until about 2000. Energy projects completed include:
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center — 3.8 MW RICE with 485 T absorption chilling.
- Williamsport Hospital, PA — 1.9 MW RICE with HRSG.
- Abington Memorial Hospital — 4.5 MW CT with HRSG.
- Holy Redeemer Medical Center in PA — 2 MW Rice with HRSG.
- Rider University in NJ — 1.1 MW Rice with HRSG, absorption chilling, and micro-grid organization.
- Carolinas Medical Center — 6.4 MW RICE capable, used for DR, as only gas markets in western NC are deregulated.
2019 ASHE Vista Infrastructure Award Recipient American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE) of the American Hospital Association
New Jersey’s Leading Infrastructure Projects - Cooper University Hospital CHP Plant New Jersey Alliance For Action
Saint Gobain Achieves LEED Platinum for Core and Shell In cooperation with Bernardon Architects and The Sheward Partnership, LLC, the Saint Gobain Corporate Headquarters in Malvern, Pennsylvania has received LEED Platinum Certification under the LEED 2009 for Core and Shell Development Rating System.
The Metropolitan Inn Rehabilitation New Jersey Historic Preservation Award, State of New Jersey
Pennsylvania Convention Center – Reading Terminal Train Shed Preservation Achievement Award, Preservation Coalition of Greater Philadelphia Public Buildings Excellence Award, Delaware Valley Building Excellence Awards
Pennsylvania Convention Center – New Exhibit Building Engineering Project of the Year, Delaware Valley Engineers Council
Pennsylvania Hospital – Central Chilled Water Plant “Fame Award” Award for Excellence, American Institute of Plant Engineers Achievement Award in Plant Engineering & Facilities, Hospital Association of PA
Duke University Medical Center – Duke Clinic Design Award/Honorable Mention, Modern Healthcare Magazine
Montgomery McCracken Walker & Rhoads Law Office American Bar Association Law Journal – Law Office Design Competition Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia
University of Delaware – East & West Chiller Plants Associated Builders and Constructors, Delaware Chapter
PWI Energy Management Award Energy Management Company of the Year, Association of Energy Engineers
Jersey Shore University Medical Center – Transformation Project Citation of Merit, Healthcare Design Magazine’s Architectural Showcase International Health Project, Design & Health International Academy Awards 2010 New Good Neighbor Award, New Jersey Business and Industry Association